Research and evidence shows that youth social action has a range of benefits for young people. If you are a young person, participating in youth social action can boost your:
- Confidence - especially about your future job prospects
- Aspirations for the future
- Expectation and clarity about your future career pathways
It has also been found to boost the skills, attitudes and competencies that are valuable in school and life, including:
- Problem solving
- Interpersonal skills and networking
- Grit and resilience
- Attitudes towards education
Employers value these skills, and highlight them as critical for future jobs. You can download a printable guide for young people and their families here.
Research shows that preparation and reflection are important aspects of youth social action.
If you are about to participate, or have recently participated in youth social action, you could use the following frameworks to support your planning and reflection on the activities you have undertaken: